A few decades ago dentists used to remove the tooth completely if its roots got infected, but gradually the practice came to a halt as treatment procedures were focused on preserving the tooth if possible. Contemporary dental procedures replace or remove the tooth only if it has no chance of preserving it. The Root canal treatment is one such procedure, this treatment isn’t recommended unless the tooth is completely decayed or when the infection has spread to roots of the teeth. In root canal treatment the damaged areas on the tooth are removed, sterilized and disinfected. The portion removed is filled and sealed with a dental agent, in some cases crowns and implants are utilized for restoring the tooth’s normal function. The crown, implants and bridges last form 9 years to a lifetime depending on how the user maintains it.
Although this was a painful and long procedure in the past, current technology enables the dentists to carry this procedure without causing pain and in a shorter duration. The question whether to take or not to take the root canal treatment can be only be answered once the dentist has a thorough understanding of your condition you may need to undergo multiple session of X-ray until the treatment method is finalized. In cases where crowns or bridges need to be implanted the dentist would recommend an appropriate cast that resembles in shape and colour of your natural tooth. The best attribute of a root canal treatment is the possibility to enjoy your favourite food without pain regardless of it being hot/cold. The worst attribute is the temporarily bite problem which persists for a few months after treatment, and a numb tooth with no sensitivity if you count it as one.
Below are a few tips to avoid the Root Canal Problem:
1. Tooth health depends on what it chews, having a nutritional diet and avoiding junk food and beverages can help maintain a healthy tooth.
2. Avoid consuming a lot of sugary products, sugar sticks to the teeth and slowly dissolves the pulp by forming plaque and cavities.
3. Meticulously maintain the teeth, devoutly brush and floss using the right methods.
4. Visit the dentist periodically, even if there are no problems getting a regular opinion can help prevent multiple dental diseases.
5. Remove the tooth infection promptly and avoid letting it ferment and spread.
6. Avoid chewing food that is too hard and exerts a lot of pressure on the jaw.
7. Use protective devices when engaging in activities such as sports and athletics.
8. Get an opinion from the dentist before purchasing dental care products for yourself such as toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash etc.,